Linked data on electronic ID
Sharing our prepare
On this web site you will obtain our strategy for the engineering and expectations we are starting with for digital ID in Ontario. They will tutorial our digital ID initiatives both equally internally and within just the digital ID ecosystem.
This plan is a starting off place and an option to established the first way for the province, companions and innovators. We are sharing it to display our original way and intent, and to engage with and put together the marketplace early in the course of action.
For now, the details on this site is geared toward people who will produce solutions in the Ontario ecosystem. Much more obtainable facts about digital ID technology will be out there listed here as the program matures and we go on to boost and update the site.
Ontario’s Digital ID will be in a position to function at “internet scale” (securely, reliably, at superior volumes, globally) and give users a simple, frictionless working experience.
Ontario’s Digital ID will:
- comply with authorities and business requirements, frameworks and rules such as:
- align with rising technologies standards
- be flexible and let us to pivot as standards evolve
- aid a frictionless and equitable consumer expertise
- be interoperable and developed to align and operate with other Canadian jurisdictions
- use open-supply remedies where ever attainable when contributing what we have learned and designed with the digital identity neighborhood
- use open criteria and inspire non-public-sector sector innovation
Self-sovereign identification trust model
Ontario’s Electronic ID will use self-sovereign identification for the reason that it gives the holder management above the qualifications in their wallet. In addition, we are layering on these added privacy-preserving attributes:
- Consent – The verifier ought to request you to approve their ask for to verify your credentials.
- Details minimization – The verifier can only accessibility what they need to have to verify you are eligible for their support. For case in point, if you want to demonstrate that you are aged sufficient to buy a lottery ticket, the store clerk would only know that you are 18 or more mature – not your true age, delivery day or nearly anything else about you.
- Anonymity – Your credentials are not tracked or traced.
Information minimization and anonymity are enabled by zero-information proofs, whereby a verifier can show that they’ve verified a selected thing about you devoid of basically figuring out that matter.
Our technological innovation roadmap
We are creating the foundation of Ontario’s Electronic ID across four key functionality spots, which include:
Confirms identity knowledge is accurate and legitimate
“I use facts from my present physical ID cards all through on the internet transactions”
Confirms the rightful operator of the identity info is resent
“On the internet transactions use image matching and other systems to ensure I am who I say I am”
Electronic evidence of identity is verified for integrity and validity
“My digital wallet retains protected, transportable and reusable identification information that can be confirmed in true time the two on the net and in real lifetime”
Ecosystems and platforms
Connections to both equally internal federal government and external personal-sector info resources to validate id information
“I profit from prevalent expectations and joined techniques that make it even much easier for me to confirm who I am on the net and in person for many uses”
The verification process
The verifiable credential design assures believe in in the course of the process.
Initially, the holder requests a digital ID and goes by way of an ID proofing procedure to set up their identification. Once the ID prerequisites are glad, the issuer will generate a electronic ID credential, concern it to the holder and publish the general public cryptographic keys affiliated with that electronic ID to the verifiable information registry, which makes use of distributed ledger technologies.
When the holder would like to use their electronic ID (for case in point to confirm their age at the liquor keep), they might faucet or scan their digital ID on the verifier’s reader to current (with their consent) the expected identification info. This interaction triggers a request to the verifiable information registry to retrieve the Ontario government’s general public vital, which confirms that the holder’s offered credential is precise and hasn’t been tampered with.
Verifiable qualifications criteria
Verifiable credentials are the basis of electronic ID. Ontario’s Electronic ID will be based on technology benchmarks from:
These are the know-how expectations that we are now thinking of.
OIDC – OpenID Basis